Translate

Thursday, April 24, 2008

full moon?

I'm here (Mom's & Dad's - St. George, UT)....

I started to get sleepy a couple times driving and then my husband suggested I start listening to talk radio instead of the music. That definitely helped! I was only able to get about 4 hours sleep last night... so it was tricky.

The Wednesday league volleyball finals was last night! The team I'm on won!!! :) It was a super exciting, competitive match! The finals is a best of 5 format. We went 5 games to determine the winner. A real nail biter! The team really held it together to push through and win that 5th game! Congrats team! This game was the reason I only got 4 hours sleep! By the time I got home and showered it was already 11:00. I had to get up at 3:20 to make sure I was on the road between 4 and 4:15 am.

It's felt like a full moon today with 3 very odd events...

#1 - Stopped outside of Vegas. I filled up the car with gas, used the facilities, and decided to buy a small bag of chips to help keep me awake. I had my credit card in my pocket. I try to check out with my .89 cent bag of chips and the cashier wants to see my ID. I told her I would need to get it out of the car. I walk over there, come back, and she tells me "you could have just picked up this card in the parking lot...". I told her that I would hope I would have tried to buy more than an .89 cent bag of chips!

#2 - I went to lunch with my mom and sister when I got to St. George. Heather and I ordered an omelet WITHOUT green peppers. (I have a reaction to green peppers... not pleasant!) I got the omelet after an EXTENDED period of time took a bite and realized it had the flavor of green peppers.... so I opened it up and there was a big chunk of green pepper. I told the waitress and she told me that it was green onion... then she said, "Oh... It's only ONE green pepper." There was no sorry, no let me fix it, no nothin'! She did end up taking it off the bill, but that wasn't the point. If someone asks to not have an ingredient due to an allergy, etc. It's because they don't want ANY not even ONE!!! I also asked for tea at this restaurant. It came with a nice little teapot for the table, HOWEVER the teapot spout was totally broken and jagged. I tried pouring it as I was desperate since it took SOOO long just to get that pot, it spilled as much as it poured. When I pointed this out and that they may want to replace that teapot she was definitely put out and had the attitude like I was lying about the tea not pouring properly out of a broken teapot. (Not to mention the fact that the one glass I poured I kept thinking... "I hope I'm not drinking glass.") Mom's meal wasn't great either... the way I look at it is... ANYWHERE we go to eat now will be absolutely amazing! :)

#3 - My allergies are always particularly bad in St. George. Today they are even worse as there is a brisk wind blowing. I knew immediately upon getting out of the car that my Zyrtek wasn't going to do the trick. I was going to need to get Claritin 24 hour decongestant. I go to the local grocery store with pharmacy. I know I'll have to provide ID... However, the way the girl asked (no DEMANDED) my ID was as if I were a criminal running right out to juice up my meth lab with ONE box of Claritin!

Total attitude from all three places... I had to think... am I wearing a sign that says, "CRIMINAL" or am I asking for trouble and problems everywhere I go? I decided that the safest thing might just be to hang out at the house for the rest of the day. It's funny how sometimes there's no good reason... things just seem to go a little crazy. Well... that's it! Back to nice people who care about their jobs and customers tomorrow... (hope, hope, hope)

Maybe it was a full moon... :)

4 comments:

  1. Whatever store asked for any ID with your credit card for any purchase amount (89cents or $89, it does not matter) was in violation of their card acceptance agreement. As long as your signature is on the back of your card, the store cannot require you to show ID and is not supposed to ask you to show any ID. You are not liable for any fraud that takes place if your card is stolen and used. In addition, by showing your ID, the cashier sees all of your personal information that is on your ID which is almost everything they need to take your identity. In addition if there is a security camera over the register area, your ID is recorded when you present it and can be retrieved by whoever has access to the security camera tapes...
    Chapter 9.11.2 (2-21 of the paper version, page 48 in the PDF) of the MasterCard merchant rules which can be found at the link below states:
    http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/12999_MERC-Entire_Manual.pdf

    "A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentiment at the poi refuses to provide additional identification information..."

    Additionally, the below MasterCard site solicits reports of merchants/retailers who require identification for card transactions: http://www.mastercard.com/contactus/contactus_mv.html

    Visa also has a merchant guidelines book posted which has the following statement on Requesting Cardholder ID which can be found on print page 29 or page (34 of 143) of the PDF file at http://merchants.visa.com/accepting/pdfs/Card_Acceptance_and_Chargeback_Guidelines.pdf :
    “Although Visa Rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures.”

    Furthermore, Visa’s operating regulations website discusses the proper card acceptance procedure and it clearly states that if the back of the card is signed, that the merchant is to compare signatures, with the only time to ask for ID being if the back of the card is not signed:
    http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/card_present.html


    I also have a letter from Visa on their letterhead on this subject which states the following:

    "Please be assured that merchants may not refuse to honor a Visa card simply because the cardholder refuses a request for supplementary identification. The only exception is when a Visa card is unsigned when presented. In this situation, a merchant must obtain authorization, review additional identification, and require the cardholder to sign the card before completing a transaction."

    This Denver Post Story discusses how unsigned credit cards are invalid and the merchant may be liable when accepting these unsigned cards:
    http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6787955

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SOOO much for all the info... I had no idea! :)

    I really appreciate you letting me know when I should expect to show ID and when I shouldn't have to!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, I had such a good time with you. I can't wait till we get together again (hopefully you have your ID with you Ü).

    Luv ya...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too!!! :) Happy Birthday again! I WILL make sure I carry that ID at all times... It wouldn't be good to want to check into a hotel or something and have no ID... I'm just sayin'... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to visit... AND especially for leaving me a message! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails